Pages

Thursday, 8 June 2017

Day 8: He Remembers We Are Dust

Art by www,wallandheart.com 
For he knows our frame, he remembers that we are dust.Psalm 103: 14

Often, I do not remember that I am dust. I don't remember that when I was formed, it was the LORD who made me a living, functioning being by his very breath; without him I could not live.

I tend to think that I am steel, or diamond- something hard and strong and self sufficient. When I then come to a point when I realise that I am utterly dependent on God- for strength, for survival, for life, I think that something has gone very wrong. I assume that I should normally be strong, I should be able to sustain myself; I shouldn't be so exhausted, or so emotionally shattered, or so wobbly because I am hungry...

But needing to depend on God is not a result of the fall.

God's plan was always for me to be completely dependent on Him. I'm not meant to get through my days mainly fine on my own, and then every now and then turn to the Lord to supplement my strength where it is lacking.

No.

Cursed is the one who makes flesh his strength, whose heart turns away from the LORD. 

(Jeremiah 17:5)

The Father does not resent our dependence on Him! He made us for it!

Jesus relied on the Sovereign Lord from birth. He got tired, overwhelmed, emotional, hungry, burdened- but he did not sin. In all this his heart turned to God, relied on him completely, honoured him in its total dependence. Sin turns away from dependence on God, but I often act like my vulnerability without Him as my refuge is something to be embarrassed by.

But the fact I cannot survive without God is not something to be ashamed of. I was made for a relationship of dependence, where my Father's compassion sustains me as my own strength cannot.

It's okay to be weak, emotional and tired. It's okay to cry out, "I cannot do today without you!"

God never intended us to get through our days without him. The LORD delights in those who trust in his unfailing love! He loves us steadfastly and with great tenderness and compassion, and as he remembers we are dust, he eagerly expects us to rely on Him, and when we do, he loves it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs