Pages

Wednesday, 21 June 2017

Day 21: We Live By The Spirit

Art by www.wallandheart.com

We live by the Spirit. 
Galatians 5:25 

Many mornings I wake up and think about all I have to do
in planning,
in marking,
in teaching,
in life-min,
in all the complexities of relationships and life
and then I think about all you call me to be
in love
and patience
and joy
ans self sacrifice,
and I bury my head under the covers
and say, "I can't do this."

On these mornings I lie in bed at the foot of a mountain,
mustering the strength to put on climbing boots,
and You hear the conviction with which I say,
"I can't do this."

And I expect you to say; "But you must!"

But you don't.

Instead,
you say,
"I know."

I'say, "I cannot do this."

And you say, with patience and warmth: "I know."

You say, in fact: "Cursed is the one who depends on flesh for strength,"and in my weariness I feel the weight of that truth.

You say, "cursed is the one whose help is man, who turns away from the Lord."

You say, "you can't do this."

And I say, "I know."

But then you say: "Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him..."

You say: "They will be like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes, its leaves are always green."

You say, "I will be your strength."

You say, "keep in step with the Spirit."

You never intend for me to get out of bed in my own strength; you never call me to seek out a hero within. You never ask  me to get up and give you something from my own tired, tainted flesh. You delight in those whose hope is in Your unfailing love.

Each morning your promises and mercies are new, each morning you call me to get up and receive from you, each morning you've offered strength for the day, grace for the hurdles, a Hero in the heavens; You have given  me Your Spirit.

And so I get out of bed, trusting that as promised, You will fill empty hands, You will strengthen weak knees, and You will, by Your Spirit, bring life to my dry bones.

Give me grace for the mornings when I feel like I cannot get up without You, and grace for the mornings I think that I can.

Based on Jeremiah 17, Galatians 5, Ezekiel 37 and the Psalms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs