Pages

Monday, 30 May 2016

Bite-Sized Bible for Bruised Believers



There are some big truths in the Bible. And there is a big understatement in that sentence!

Below I've picked out just thirty of them especially thinking about what it's like to be depressed, weary and overwhelmed. On those days when you can barely grasp a single positive thought, these are just five word truths, taken directly from the Bible, to remind even the most bruised reeds, exhausted minds and battered believers of the truly epic good news Jesus would have his blood-bought people delight in. 

I've tried to focus on truths that keep me looking away from myself, and to the incredible, gracious, and genuinely mind-blowing nature of Jesus, because that's what's helped me most in the miserable times. I've also tried to pick a verses from across the Bible to demonstrate the unchanging nature of God's power to provide and redeem. And hallelujah, he is coming soon! 

And I've chosen thirty: one for all day every day, each day of June! 

Of course, five word Bible bits are quite small. Of course, there's goodness in knowing the context of the verse, the argument, the chapter, the book, the big picture- but sometimes, and perhaps particularly in times of trouble, the enormity of the truths in valuable segments either get lost among the multiple words and pages, or get buried beneath the barrage of internal accusations and condemnations. I've deliberately only chosen five words so that even the most exhausted, energy deprived person might be able to read and meditate on it- and over the course of a day- learn it. I've tried to pick bite-sized bits that make sense in and of themselves (the first one might need a read of the chapter for a re-cap!), but of course there's great richness in knowing how they fit the big picture! 

What a wealth of mind blowing truths in these little nuggets of glory! I'm praying that June will be more joyful for turning my mind and heart back to the Jesus these words reveal! 

Over the past year, I have written up my thoughts on these 30 bite-sized chunks; feel free to read along with them as you journey through June.  

(Have mercy on me if it turns out some of them aren't five words long. Maths has never been my strong point!) 


God meant it for good.                              
Genesis 50:20

2 Kings 20:5 

Deuteronomy 33:27

1 Chronicles 16: 34

I know my Redeemer lives.                        
Job 19:25

The LORD is my shepherd.                       
Psalm 23:1

Joy comes in the morning.                        
Psalm 30:5

He remembers we are dust.                        
Psalm 103:14

The LORD sets prisoners free.                    
Psalm 146:7

The Lord is my portion.                             
Lamentations 3:24

I will be with you.                                       
Isaiah 43:2

He took up our pain.                                  
Isaiah 53:4

He ran and embraced him.                         
Luke 15: 20

Neither do I condemn you.                         
John 8:11

It is God who justifies.                                
Romans 8:33

Christ is interceding for us.                        
Romans 8: 34

God chose what is weak.                           
1 Corinthians 1:27

Christ died for our sins.                              
1 Corinthians 15:3  

What is unseen is eternal.                          
2 Corinthians 4:18

I am crucified with Christ.                         
Galatians 2:20

We live by the Spirit.                               
Galatians 5:25

He himself is our peace.                           
Ephesians 2:14

Our citizenship is in heaven.                    
Philippians 3:20

God has spoken to us.                                
Hebrews 1: 2

And he upholds the universe                     
Hebrews 1: 3

Now you have received mercy.                
1 Peter 2:10

He is faithful and just.                               
1 John 1:9

He gives us more grace                            
James 4:6

I make all things new                                
Revelation 21:5

Surely I am coming soon.                        
Revelation 22: 20

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs